Probate Cardiff Profiant Caerdydd
A brief guide to the process of probate
After the death of a loved one, there is much paperwork to be administered. With many clients, this involves two detailed meetings. The first involves calculating the assets of the deceased and communicating with the various financial institutions to close / transfer funds, including bank, savings accounts and pensions.
A few weeks later, when the information is available, the second meeting involves the preparation of the Probate application form and the Inheritance Tax Return, which will need to be completed even if no Inheritance Tax is payable. The Probate form is issued a few weeks later which allows for the sale of assets and the distribution of the estate.
Accountant Huw's Probate office is in Whitchurch, Cardiff, Wales.
Huw uses Zoom meetings frequently with new clients. Family members may live hundreds of miles apart and far from Cardiff, but with modern technology constructive discussions can be had on a face to face basis whilst all individuals remain in the comfort of their own homes.
With the use of digital technology, Huw is able to service clients throughout the world who require a grant of probate in England and Wales. More details on Probate for Expats can be found on the Expat section of the website.
Some clients will seek assistance to complete the whole process of Probate. Other clients wish to administer the first part of the process themselves, obtaining valuations of all assets and requiring professional advice for the completion of the Probate application form and the Inheritance Tax form.
Matters dealt with on behalf of Probate Clients
Probate work constantly brings new and unexpected challenges. The following are examples of the type of work carried out on behalf of clients:
- Submission of Grant of Probate applications.
- Submission of basic Inheritance Tax form 205 and the detailed Inheritance Tax form 400 with accompanying schedules.
- Preparing the final income tax returns of the deceased.
- Transfer of unused allowances between spouses.
- Application for the Residence Nil Rate Band and the transfer of unused allowances from the spouse.
- Listing of Gifts for the deceased.
- Assisting with house valuations and the selling of houses through estate agents.
- Assisting with valuations of savings and the selling of investments.
- Selling works of art / antique furniture.
- Dealing with banks, building societies and National Savings.
- Arranging the direct payment of Inheritance Tax from client bank and savings accounts.
- Communication with pension and life insurance companies.
- Maturing crypto currency investments.
- Claims for business relief and agricultural relief.
- Assisting with the sale of foreign property / assisting with the submission of Grant of Probate applications in foreign countries, liaising with a local foreign solicitor / payment of foreign utility bills.
- Assisting and agreeing payment of the debts of the deceased / credit cards / mortgages.
- Arranging property repairs / payment of utility bills on empty properties.
- Tracing missing persons with the assistance of specialist genealogists.
- Distributing the estate to the beneficiaries.
- Arranging the burial of ashes and the ordering of a memorial stone.
Huw Roberts is authorised by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales to carry out the reserved legal activity of non-contentious probate in England and Wales.